Death Wish

I've always liked Bruce Willis as an actor. From the awesome Die Hard to the epic Sixth Sense he has always played outstanding roles, especially as an action movie actor. In that sort of role I put him up there with Stallone, Statham and The Rock, who I saw last week in the movie Rampage.

So, you can imagine my excitement when I heard he was back in another action movie, especially directed by Eli Roth, who I rate highly, the epic director of the movie Hostel.

Unfortunately, in truth I was dissapointed. I didn't have any expectations as I went to see this movie, especially as the critic reviews are, quite literally, awful.

The movie wasn't as bad as the critics made out. It had some great action scenes and a storyline that was very relevant, especially to modern day America. The lesson the movie gives is sometimes the only person that can defend you is yourself as the Police often arrive after the crime has taken place.

It was your typical vigilante justice type movie, in the same bracket as the Taken movie series but it wasn't as good as those films. The direction was good, there were some awesome action scenes, the music was dramatic and the lighting was fine (there weren't any too dark or too light bits), but, sadly, the main flaw with this movie was Bruce Willis acting skills.

As I said, I've always rated him as an actor, but in this movie he was completely wooden. Whether it was mourning a death, shooting a bad guy or just talking to a friend, it was all done in the same monotone, dull and boring voice. There was a real lack of emotion or anything, just the same monotone speech and that was so dissaponting and so unexpected from a usually outstanding actor like Willis. You got the feeling he was just there for a payday and wasn't putting his heart and soul into the role which was so sad.

However he still kicked the bad guys butts which is cool and I have to say by far the best character was Dean Norris, who played Hank in the brilliant tv series, Breaking Bad. Yet again he played a Police Officer, well I think he was a detective, but he played the role so well that the movie is worth watching for him alone. Fans of Breaking Bad will feel like Hank is back.

This could have been a great movie, but sadly due to Willis surprisingly wooden acting it wasn't, but it was an ok one. Worth a watch but not amazing which us a very similar verdict to Ramapage from last week. Three and a half stars awarded.

*This review is all my own work, please don't reproduce without my permission. Please visit my advertisers pages from the main page of my blog as they help keep the blog going thankyou.

Comments

Popular Posts